Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Salsa Dry Mix

I've been focusing on mixes in my kitchen lately...to save time and money. Our finances are really tight right now with the increase in gas and food prices and we've been eating a lot of salsa as well as rice mixes (recipes to come soon!). I shop for my spices and pantry staples at Amish bulk food stores - so the mixes really are inexpensive to make!

This mix tastes very similar to Tastefully Simple's Salsa Salsa dry mix but at a fraction of the cost! I often puree the tomatoes in the blender prior to mixing in the dry mix as my kids prefer less chunks of tomatoes. :o)

Salsa Dry Mix

1 1/2 c. dry cilantro
2 T. garlic powder
1/2 c. dry onion
1/2 c. dry sweet pepper flakes (and/or red pepper for heat, if desired)
1 tsp. salt
2 T. pepper

Mix all ingredients in an airtight container. Shake before using.

Salsa = 2 T. mix to 1 can diced tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes for milder tasting salsa)
Spread = 2 T. mix to 1-8 0z cream cheese block
Dip = 1 T. mix to 16 oz sour cream

No comments:

Post a Comment