Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bran Muffins

This recipe is originally from The New Book of Whole Grains (Bumgarner) that I had requested from my local library.  I had been looking for a good bran muffin recipe that was made from whole grains with honey.  This recipe is great & freezes well, too! 

I add 1/4 cup of ground flax seed for extra nutrition. I also add 1 tsp. of cinnamon.  I have made the recipe twice, once with yogurt and once with buttermilk and both taste great!  :o)

Bran Muffins
1/3 c. sunflower oil
1/2 c. honey
1 egg
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. wheat bran
1/4. c. ground flax seed
1 c. buttermilk (or yogurt)

Cream together oil, honey & egg.  Stir together dry ingredients and add to honey mixture alternating with buttermilk (yogurt).  Batter will be thick.  
Spray muffin tin well!  Fill & bake 15-20 minutes at 400F.  Check at 15 minutes - that's when they're usually done in my oven.  

Makes 1 dozen.

To Freeze: Cool & bag in Ziploc Freezer bags.

To Serve: Thaw at room temp or microwave.